* Yesterday morning Chris and I headed to Walden with different priorities. I set out for my first OW swim of the year, and he set out...his yoga mat! We were the only people there, it was warm and sunny and just perfect. Do you know those fleeting moments in life where everything feels like it is just the way it should be? Yes, I felt that as I set out for my swim and said good bye to a Tree-posed Chris!
Except that a few minutes into my swim my shoulders were killing me. I had a hard time keeping my elbows high. WTF? Fortunately after about 10 minutes the pain went away and i fell into a groove. I decided to swim around the pond. I have no idea how long the perimeter of the pond is. It took me exactly one hour to go around and I was very happy since last year it took me almost 2 hours (including breaks, which I did not have to take this time). The bath house was locked which meant I changed clothes behind a tree (by the time I was done there were people around), put make up on on the beach, and went to work with my wet hair in a ponytail. Both Chris and I agree that we will make this our Wednesday morning routine.
* I had my first bonk on the bike today! I had 36 miles with 3X9 (which I did continuous) @ race pace. I had zero food with me and during the last 6 miles I felt loopy and hungry! I can easily run 20+ miles on no food (usually I take 1 gel at 10 miles), but I need lots of calories on the bike. This has to have something to do with metabolic efficiency; my body is used to running but biking is still relatively new to me.
* My HR is about 150 when I go @ race pace. I wonder if during the race I should push the HR up a little or that would completely mess my run up. Thoughts?
* After wearing compression socks at work the entire winter, I was sans them yesterday and noticed a huge difference in how my legs felt at night: sore, swollen, unhappy!
* A day like today reinforced why I never complain of coldness in the winter (I may complain of snow, but not of cold). I had a 10.5 mile suffer-fest this afternoon. I was to do 3X3 miles @ 7:15ish, and managed 2X3 before almost puking. It was hot, humid, and I am obviously not used to running in these temps. Even if I were used to these temps, I am much more of a cold weather type runner and am not looking forward to marathon training in the summer. Biking and swimming in the heat are much more enjoyable!
* We are in the mist of a tax override campaign here in Arlington, MA, so if you read this blog and live in Arlington, please vote "Yes".
Building a clock
7 months ago