It's been so long since I blogged that I needed a minute to familiarize myself with the new blogger layout. Ha! Lots to say, here it goes, in no particular order.
* Just got back from a little get away (avoid the word "vacation" bc I actually had to work about half of the time) in Connecticut to visit friends and go to Lake Compounce, a waterpark/ amusement park. My little big 48 inches guy is obsessed with waterparks and we ran out of all Massachusetts had to offer. And 48 inches is a very important height - it symbolizes that he does not need mommy with him on the "lights out", "death tunnel", "twister" and other such "thrilling" rides...
* It's been one on my busiest summers in terms of work. Lots of grants to write. I love my job so much that I know I will do it to some extent for the rest of my life past retirement, but the stress of meeting deadlines and responsibilities that affect many peoples is not always, particularly in the summertime:).
* The stress is most likely linked to my recent encounter with shin splints (posterior) on my L leg. This is the type of pain I could run through as it gets better after I warm up, but this strategy combined with icing did not lead to a speedy recovery (ha, ha!) so I have been resorting to the bike, elliptical and pool/pond and I am *almost* ready to return to running.
* Dealing with this setback has been easier than I would have imagined, largely because work has been very busy, but also because after running in the crazy temps we've had, I enjoy the AC at the gym and the ability to sleep in and work out at any hour I have available regardless of weather. In addition, I did some pretty hard workouts on the bike and elliptical, keeping my HR on the elliptical within MAF, tempo and VO2 max range (which is very hard because of the lack of wind and pounding!) so I feel I am pretty fit. I only miss running when I read about it, which I did little of during the past week.
* Super excited for a girls weekend coming up in 6 sleeps. Two dear friends that I met through this blog are going to come from far and even further away to spend the weekend with me. I hope to be able to run and take them to some beautiful trails in the area. If that won't be possible, there will be many more things to do...my fridge is stacked, the wine is bought, my boys will leave the house Friday morning and my last grant of the summer will be in Thursday night! Happy!
Building a clock
8 months ago